7/12/07

Way of the White Clouds










On a ferry somewhere between Italy and Corfu, Greece

It's interesting for me to note that no chants at all emerged during the month I travelled around Italy. It took me that long to sate my craving for variety and stimulation with an avalanche of cathedrals, museums, fine art, musical performances, new cuisine, hikes, and other adventures. The ferry was literally the first time I sat still - for 7 hours. What happened was that my drum came out and I started singing to the sea and sky... This was the first occurance of an an interesting opening that happened many times over the summer; I would sing chant after chant from songs that I know, playing a game of also picking the rhythm on the fly... and at the end, out would pop a new song! The white clouds in the song also relate to a book by Rajneesh that had been a powerful influence in my 20's. I resolved that afternoon to track down a copy and reread it.

The second and third verses came a few days later, and were inspired by (2nd verse) by a desire to bring in the magic of the Lemniscate, and (3rd verse) a bit of musing on a freshly changed relationship with a lover.

This was also the period where I discovered my love for the practice of sitting in nature and singing to God-Goddess-Spirit-One. (That began at Cinque Terre - a place I recommend you visit someday!). I was also using this time to challenge myself to sing accompanied by much more complex rhythms that I had been accustomed to using... a completely different process of transformation that is a tale unto itself.

LYRICS:

my way is the path
of peaceful wandering white clouds
sailing over the boundless ocean of life

the sun warms the sea
the water rises to the heavens
gently falling to the earth
in the cool dark night

and the fire greets the rain
and each release into the other
dancing together through the endless orbits of time


1..2..3..4..
D.DkTkD.DkTk Lengen

No comments: