4/26/09

One GOoD Thing















Makua Beach, Oahu, Hawaii

Most evenings I treat myself to singing and drumming somewhere out in nature for "drumsong sunset". On this occasion, I was at Makua beach at the north west tip of Oahu, van camping at the edge of the sand. Most everyone else had headed home... taking with them their big stereos, ATV's, tents, rambunctious children, dogs, and so on. In the wake was a gorgeous, sweet stillness, punctuated by the stunning view of the ocean, the island and the sky.

Each day I take a moment to write out 10 things I am grateful for. My friend Joy has a version of this she calls "One Good Thing". We had just finished singing Kirtan and meditating, and this chant popped out. Our practice began as we improvised little verses to share the things we were grateful for on this day.

The first one I sang was my thanks for the healing that singing "Little Things" the prior evening brought to a man who had been physically attacked the same day. He told us later that he found himself walking the beach that night humming the song and listing all the things he is grateful for... and how focusing his attention there instead of on the pain was transformative.

Lyrics:

lift up your voice
let's all sing
the praises of
the one good thing

(2nd verse added later:)


make a moment, every single day
give thanks for the good things
coming your way

1...2...
D.Ck.kC.

No comments: