8/30/07

Snippets From The Road

It's August 30th, 2007 and I'm sitting on the rooftop patio of the hotel Acinar in Istanbul. In 3 days I will begin the long series of flights back to my home in Honolulu (where the photo above was taken the day I departed). This blog represents the musical manifestations of my journey of reflection and decision making that took place between May 15th and today along a fascinating path which ambled through the USA, the Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Greece and Turkey.               ...go to the 1st chant


The 24 chants collected here as "Europe 2007" are the result of a wellness practice whereby my thoughts and feelings coagulated in rhythms and songs that became portals for energetic release, or for the invocation and clarification of new directions in my life. The title of the CD (eventually) - "Snippets from the Road" was chosen in recognition of the often much longer and more "detailed" musical expressions the Muse poured through me during the time a given chant was emerging. The notes and photos that accompany the songs are meant to give the listener a bit of a peek into the heart and mindset present at the time of each working, and may help imply the other lyrical layers which I either did not capture, or which are just a bit too personal for public broadcast. 

I have included notation for the rhythms I play to accompany the songs. These rhythms are either the ones I was playing at the time the song came through, or are the ones I now feel most effectively transmit the musical flavor present at the time of creation. My hope is that those of you who are percussionists will learn the rhythms, and that I will then have strong rhythmic allies when I bring the chant round the fire. When possible I have included the names of the rhythms (those unnamed are something I made up, and I welcome your help naming them).

The audio recordings here were made on my travel camera after I got home. They are pretty similar in quality and "vibe" to the rough recordings I made on my .mp3 player... that died on the road.  I'm working on more complete arrangements of the chants, which will appear here eventually.  For now, the only instrument is the Bendir that travelled with me.

The "go to the next chant" link " below the sound file will take you forward in chronological order to help keep the tale in order.  Clicking on the photos will give you full screen versions  :)

Many of the songs are informed by my passion for the Alchemical Fire Circle. (Also see Video or visit The ReSourcery). I am sharing these songs with my friends from that fellowship - in gratitude for the contributions of beauty, inspiration and sanity their presence in my life brings.

This music is dedicated with much love to Joshua Levin, Robin Lieberman, Deborah Nervig, Abigail and Jeff McBride, imani, Liz Greene, Tara Severns, Patricia Brubaker, Wayne Bow, Kevin Roddy, Kat McDivitt, Moondance, and Josselyn Price.


           ________________________________________________________

No comments: