1/4/15

Om Namo Bhagavate


Honolulu, HI

It's been high time, for a long time, to write a song praising Krishna. The inspiration to actually begin working on something arrived when I learned that "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya" isn't a chant to Ram and Sita. (I had assumed this based on Krishna Das also singing "Sita-Ram" in his version - which incidentally was the very first kirtan I completely fell in love with.)  A complete explanation of the meaning of the mantra is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Namo_Bhagavate_Vasudevaya  So, I didn't really write a chant, just a melody ;)  It took quite a few days for the tune and rhythmic structure to settle in... at one stage in the evolution it almost sounded Gregorian.  Today I shared it in it's rough form with a pure devotee who absolutely loved it... so good enough for me!  When I offer this at a kirtan, it will lead into "Nitai Gaura Haribol" and then the Maha Mantra.

LYRICS:

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

RHYTHM:   Bhajan

No comments: