8/2/07

Ikaria

















On a final motorcycle ride up the North coast, the day before leaving

As many of you know, I pretty much fell in love with Ikaria. The land itself is beautiful, with empty beaches, vast forests, rivers and all there is to love about the earth. Just as important were the generous and kind people who live there. But beyond the 'friendliness" we so often associate with people whose cultures we visit, these people were genuinely interested in me, what I thought and how I was doing - and often went out of their way to befriend me and welcome me into their world. On my very first night on the island I was invited by any number of people - who I had barely met - to join them at a big village party. The next day, here is what I wrote in my diary:

"...the festival was so many of the things I want in my life. Long, trancey songs with good musicians. Lots of great food and wine (the proceeds from which going to repairs for the church and roads). People of all ages, all who clearly know each other. Everyone engaged in the songs and dances - or were being encouraged to hop in and try. Opportunites for everyone to lead and to follow, and even times for flamboyant self expression. I left about 2:30a, largely because I was concerned about hitchhiking back so far so late (I was probably 6-8 miles from home). In fact i got quick rides both coming and going. People here a very kind and obviously not afraid; a culture of helping each other. When I left, things were shifting into some new gear and showing no signs of abating from the "core" of about 200+ people that were out there circle dancing most of the time. I found out later that they went to dawn and beyond. A whole other kind of fire circle!"

That experience, and subsquent visits to two more festivals eventually crystalized into song.

















LYRICS:

Ikaria I fly towards the sun
from a magical land in the sea
i must find my way home
to where I can belong
Ikaria reminds me I'm free

A place where the whole town sits down and eats
and dances in circles, on light happy feet
and all join in song,
or a story or two
Ikaria, it's a place just like you


1..2..3..4..
D.C.CC.DDkTk


...go to the next chant!

No comments: