7/27/07

Roller Coaster


















On a remote road on the North side of the island of Naxos in Greece

Naxos was one of the unexpected delights of my summer - and came along at a much needed moment. Immediately prior had been 4 sweltering-hot tourist days in Athens - complete with a saggy bed in an overcrowded hostel. This was followed by 3 days on the even hotter, mostly barren island of Santorini (though the view of the ocean filled Caldera is most astounding). I decided to run away and dug into my guidebook till I found words like "lush", "green" and "empty". Naxos turned out to be exactly that - and was easily 15-20 degrees cooler due to constant winds. I rented a "quad" motorcycle, strapped my pack on the back and literally headed for the hills. This song emerged from the delight I felt at driving along, wind in my face, having found a cool, beautiful island to explore that - aside from the port town - was virtually devoid of tourism. I could only laugh at the contrast to my "suffering" of the previous week... "Really living" often means we leave the comfort of our plans - and our controlled, predictable and safe environments - either physically or psychologically.

LYRICS:

life is such a roller coaster
really living is like a carnival ride
laughing on the way up
screamin on the way down
gathering up courage
for another go round

the ride is going up, the ride is going down
your head's begun to spin,
round and round and round and round

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...
D.tkC.kT.kTkD.kT.kTkC.kT.kD.TkD.
Julianna's Jam

No comments: