10/24/07

Atheist



























Honolulu

One of my sources of inspiration for fire circle chants came from my friend Joshua.  I noticed the often unique topics his chants explore, and asked him how he came up with the ideas.  He explained that he has made a practice of writing chants specifically focusing on "what we don't address in the fire circle."  One evening, with that premise in mind, I started surfing the web looking for lists of cultural taboos. Aside from 85% being related to sex (!), one that caught my eye was atheism - it's apparently taboo in many cultures to NOT believe in "god" or "goddess".   Since the fire circle is meant to welcome all paths and religions, i realized that atheism was something that was never sung about - a sort of "anti-religion" that is not represented in the circle.  And, guess what - Joshua is a mystic; he's essentially an atheist. So, an atheist song for my incredible friend and ally! ...which turned out to be a pretty tall order, as most of what I read about atheism suggested that atheists usually define themselves by what they DON'T believe.  I fully enjoyed the learning process I went through in order to find a way to lovingly represent this philosophical perspective in song.  As a bonus, someone recently shared a wonderful reading by Penn (of Penn and Teller) on the same topic which you can read
here.

LYRICS:

contemplating deity
isn't it enough to be
the beauty and wonder that exists
within you and me?

our world is full of love
nature, art and ecstasy
there's infinite imagination,
wisdom and mystery

maybe it's all up to me,
to shape the world I want to see
fill it with awe and presence!
i think i'll worship creativity

1...2...3...4...5...6...   Moroccan 6
D..k.kD...C.Dk.k.kD.C.C.

No comments: