1/1/11

New Year!





















Honolulu, HI

...wanted to start the year off writing a new song, but although there were lots of lyric ideas, melodic inspiration eluded me. The tune here is from a traditional Mande, West African song that accompanies the rhythm "Yankadi", which is played for a dance of courtship. So, I guess the song's underpinnings have something to do with me courting a wonderful 2011 ;) (2010 was a pretty tough year for me, and many people I know and love.) The photo above is overlooking Honolulu on New Year's Eve!

LYRICS:

here's a shining brand new year
feelin' good to start over
the pathways are clear
and we're wiser and older

we're taking time for reflection
and choosing worthy directions
setting goals and resolutions
bringing peace and healthy solutions

so throw out what you don't need
and focus on planting each new seed
it's up to you what you can grow
you're the star of your own show!

1..2..3..4..
D.CC.DD.TT.D

No comments: