8/13/07

Little Things

















Walking along the isthmus, Egirdir, Turkey

I had departed Olympos - and a visit with the Chimera - catching a morning bus for the 3 hour trip to Antalya, my next planned stop. Unfortunately, Antalya turned out to be a huge, urban sprawl - and I made a snap decision at the otogar (bus staion) to catch the next coach departing in 15 minutes for Konya. This was another 5 hour ride, but I figured I might as well move on. 3 hours later, I awoke from a nap as the bus stopped in Egirdir - which was a quiet little village at the south end of a HUGE lake, surrounded by mountains and cooled by a brisk, delightful breeze. Snap decision #2 for the day and I was off the bus then and there to seek lodging. I ended up sleeping on a 4th story roof top patio on an isthmus, surrounded by the lake with a 360 degree view! That night I walked the rest of the way out the isthmus to the tiny island on the end, where the supposed tourist scene was. It turned out to be 3 tiny restaurants and about 10 more pensions; basically nothing was happening. I later realized that Egirdir was unigue in all my travels - there was actually not even one tourist shop, or vaction geared business there. Just a small town with extra accommodations for people passing through. As I walked back from the little islet, I ate a pear (Turkish pears are consistently superb), was passed by a flock of little children laughing and babbling at high velocity (at least to my ears...) and then I encounterd the crab on the sidewalk! Everything in the song happened over the course of a few brief minutes and I was in just the right frame of mind to take a deep breath and marvel at the entertainment potential of the many seemingly mundane things all around me. I mean, how often does one encounter a big ole crab, on the sidewalk miles from any ocean? I didn't even know crabs lived in lakes!

LYRICS:

i'm loving the little things in life
groovin on tiny treasures
the sweetness of a pear
wind in my hair
that crab on the sidewalk
children as they laugh and talk
the scent of flowers in mountain air


1...2...3...4...
D..kC.C..kC.DkC.

No comments: